Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Keep Praying!

We have all just gotten back from Birmingham. Mom is staying in the room with Dad and Stephen and I will head back down first thing in the morning to hopefully bring him home. It has been a long day! However, I am comforted by Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (Thanks Lisa!)

Now, let me see if I can give a little more information than I did in the earlier post. First of all, the good news is that the PET scan showed no further sign of disease. The bad news is that this tumor in his neck was much larger than expected and seemed to be very aggressive. The doctors were disappointed when they saw this knowing that Dad has had both chemo and radiation specifically in this area. Cancer is so random and there are no predictions as to why this came back and will it come back again? This being said, they (both doctors) agreed that from a surgical standpoint the surgery was a success. They got it all out. Dr. Holmes firmly believes that this is all stemming from that original tumor. So, our plan is to determine whether or not he can receive more radiation (let's pray that he can!) and if he can they will order that to start very specifically in this area of the neck AFTER he heals from today's surgery. (about 5 weeks) Dr. Holmes wants this but ultimately it is the radiologist's call. So that is where we are...yes, we found another big tumor..UGH! However, it IS OUT OF THERE and we are going to pray for radiation to kill whatever else if left in there and I KNOW GOD WILL BE GLORIFIED in it all!

Just talked to mom and she said he is still groggy and keeps trying to wake up but is facing a lot of pain in his arm and a bad headache! Dr. Holmes said his arm would be VERY sore this time and put him out for a while. I would be willing to bet that it won't keep him down long!

We need and appreciate all of you prayers. Love to you all!
Michelle

No comments: