Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Little Bit of Info...

Dr. Hardacre did talk to Dr. Bonner in Birmingham and called to let dad know that he referred his case to Dr. Spencer who DOES see patients are works directly underneath him. She quickly reviewed the case and scenarios with Dr. Hardacre over the phone and thought that it may be in Dad's best interest to re-radiate. HOWEVER, she wouldn't make any decisions until another PET scan has been done. They are scheduling that for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks from now. I imagine we will be making a trip to visit her with the latest scan and then know from there exactly what the plan will be. Keep praying!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Appointment with Dr. Hardacre

Dad had his appointment with Dr. Hardacre this afternoon and my head is literally hurting with all the information that was provided to us. Just hang in there as I try to relay most of it to you. To re-radiate or not? That is the question. The answer right now is to wait a few weeks before making that decision. Dr. Hardacre wants to see another PET scan in 3 weeks before going any further and he has a call in to Dr. James Bonner, a radiation oncologist from UAB who is apparently one of the best in the area and we are lucky to have him in our back yard! He is known for his work in head and neck cancers. We look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Dr. Hardacre explained several scenarios to us regarding the question as to whether or not to radiate. In simple terms...Can it be done? Yes. Are there severe risks involved? Yes. Do the risk out weigh the benefits? That we don't know. Many people have been re-radiated with great success. In these cases, there is usually a specific mass or tumor that the radiologist is going for. In Dad's case, this past surgery removed everything that they could see or feel so as far as we know there is no more cancer in there. The worry is that given the past history since the first tumor appeared, that there may be more cancer cells out there waiting to appear. Therefore getting more radiation would help destroy them. The problem is that radiation seriously damages your body and certain body parts can only take so much and then they are done. (such as main arteries, the spinal cord, the throat, etc) He has already had lots of radiation. So there is the question again! He kept telling us that he fits in this "gray area" where there is no definite yes or no answer. Should we? Yes...chances are there are more cancer cells. No...because we don't even know if there is any more cancer so why put your body through that and possible life long side effects if we don't need to? What if there are cancer cells left in the area but they are not getting fed and never act up? What if they are done? Then to put your body through radiation that you don't need would be silly!

I pray this doctor that Dr. Hardacre is looking to for answers will help in our decision. I feel really good about it. I am not discouraged at all. I have faith in my God that HE can heal and destroy these cancers. I have faith and I hope you do too. I threw that out there to Dr. Hardacre..I said, "I just think that this was it and no more cancers are going to act up..I have faith." And he said. "and that very well could be!"

So for now we are waiting to hear back from this new doctor in our lives, Dr. Bonner. He may have a definite answer, he may want to see Dad, he may want to just review it all with Dr. Hardacre. We will see. Until then continue to pray. Please thank God for all that he has done this far.. we can never overlook the blessings he has given us through this all. Pray for the doctors as they help us to determine what to do. I am at peace just waiting! I've got a good feeling!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Follow up with Dr. Holmes

"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5

I love this verse and it reminds me daily to always love Him and I know he will never leave us through good and bad. It gives me such peace to know that he has always gone before us in everything that we face in this life. The past couple of weeks have been tough thinking about that beast, cancer, that came back yet again. I have prayed over and over thanking God for all He has done so far and for what He will still do. I have prayed that this last evidence of cancer be the last one. I have given it over to Him because He is the ultimate healer and anything is possible with God. Praise HIM!

Today we went to Birmingham for Dad's follow up appointment with Dr. Holmes. Right off they took his staples out before we even saw Dr. Holmes. The incision is healing great. Here's how the opening conversation went with Dad and Dr. Holmes..(I thought it was pretty funny)

Dr. Holmes: Hey there, so how was that? Did you survive?
Dad: Well...it wasn't as bad as the first time. This is #4 so I am kind of getting used to it! (lol)
Dr. Holmes: It does seem like you are on the frequent flyer plan.
Dad: Yea, but I don't want any more points!

(examining his mouth and incision..)
Dr. Holmes: Did I hear that you called here the DAY AFTER your surgery to see if you could drive?
Dad: No, I called THAT AFTERNOON!

We were all laughing at the conversation! You gotta love that attitude! For the most part, everything from the surgery looked great and things are healing as they should. Dad has had 4 physical therapy sessions and Dr. Holmes was so impressed with the range of motion he already has at this point. That is par for the course with Dad..always breaking the rules about when he should be healed and up and going!

The pathology report revealed that there was in fact, evidence of aggressive squamous cell carcinoma in dissected sample. Dr. Holmes explained to us that several lymph nodes were tested from in and around the area and they all showed no evidence of disease. This is great news. This cancer traveled through the tissues and/or blood vessels and camped out in this particular spot. Again it is believed this is a result of the original tumor. The problem being that there is no way to tell if another cell is floating out there until it decides to "act bad". We pray that they behave!!

The question now is whether or not he can have radiation in this particular area. There are a lot of factors that play in to that determination. We have an appointment with Dr. Hardacre on Tuesday, Feb. 16 to go over all of that.

Until then it is my hope that you all pray that this cancer is gone from his body. Pray for the doctors as they look at the factors and decide whether or not he can safely have more radiation. We are so thankful for all of your care and concern. It is wonderful to have such support! Mom and Dad are off to the beach for a long weekend to celebrate their anniversary! Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!