Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Appointment with Dr. Hardacre

Dad had his appointment with Dr. Hardacre this afternoon and my head is literally hurting with all the information that was provided to us. Just hang in there as I try to relay most of it to you. To re-radiate or not? That is the question. The answer right now is to wait a few weeks before making that decision. Dr. Hardacre wants to see another PET scan in 3 weeks before going any further and he has a call in to Dr. James Bonner, a radiation oncologist from UAB who is apparently one of the best in the area and we are lucky to have him in our back yard! He is known for his work in head and neck cancers. We look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Dr. Hardacre explained several scenarios to us regarding the question as to whether or not to radiate. In simple terms...Can it be done? Yes. Are there severe risks involved? Yes. Do the risk out weigh the benefits? That we don't know. Many people have been re-radiated with great success. In these cases, there is usually a specific mass or tumor that the radiologist is going for. In Dad's case, this past surgery removed everything that they could see or feel so as far as we know there is no more cancer in there. The worry is that given the past history since the first tumor appeared, that there may be more cancer cells out there waiting to appear. Therefore getting more radiation would help destroy them. The problem is that radiation seriously damages your body and certain body parts can only take so much and then they are done. (such as main arteries, the spinal cord, the throat, etc) He has already had lots of radiation. So there is the question again! He kept telling us that he fits in this "gray area" where there is no definite yes or no answer. Should we? Yes...chances are there are more cancer cells. No...because we don't even know if there is any more cancer so why put your body through that and possible life long side effects if we don't need to? What if there are cancer cells left in the area but they are not getting fed and never act up? What if they are done? Then to put your body through radiation that you don't need would be silly!

I pray this doctor that Dr. Hardacre is looking to for answers will help in our decision. I feel really good about it. I am not discouraged at all. I have faith in my God that HE can heal and destroy these cancers. I have faith and I hope you do too. I threw that out there to Dr. Hardacre..I said, "I just think that this was it and no more cancers are going to act up..I have faith." And he said. "and that very well could be!"

So for now we are waiting to hear back from this new doctor in our lives, Dr. Bonner. He may have a definite answer, he may want to see Dad, he may want to just review it all with Dr. Hardacre. We will see. Until then continue to pray. Please thank God for all that he has done this far.. we can never overlook the blessings he has given us through this all. Pray for the doctors as they help us to determine what to do. I am at peace just waiting! I've got a good feeling!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You should trust your feelings, as God gives us that peace. You go, girl! XXOO