Tuesday, March 2, 2010

PET Scan Results

Dad has his PET scan yesterday, March 1. We met with Dr. Hardacre today to read the results. It did show a spot of cancer left over from this past surgical removal as it was feared. The surgeons and pathologists has expressed sincere concern that some of the cancer could have been left behind after the surgery because the tumor was so aggressive and was attacking the tissue around it. This was the reason they had suggested that he possibly re-radiate. So, that being said, though more cancer did show up around the upper jaw on the same side as this most recently removed tumor, Dr. Hardacre was pleased with the location. That sounds weird, but if you were going to have this cancer return, this is the best place it could be as far as radiation is concerned. Should be easily pinpointed and treated in about 30 Monday thru Friday sessions. Dr. Hardacre relayed all of this as "the good news"... (the good news being that the cancer is still in the head and neck area and completly treatable!!!)

The bad news is that a small suspicious spot showed up underneath his chin right on the incision spot from the last surgery. Now, it is VERY common for scar tissue this soon after surgery to show up on a PET scan as suspicious. However, given Dad's past history, he couldn't help but be concerned until we know for sure what that is. I TRULY BELIEVE it is scar tissue because it is SOOOO small on the scan and neither Dad nor Dr. Hardacre could feel anything. Also, it is in the EXACT spot as the scar and it happens to be in the spot that has taken the longest to heal. I just know that is what it is and I think the doctors do to, they just can't help to but to bring it up based on Dad's past record. So, the bad news is there is no way to test it for sure at this point. It is too small to biopsy because you can't see it or feel it and to go in with a needle would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. That being said, we would ideally want another PET scan in a few weeks to check and see if it is better or worse and we would have an answer. The only problem with that is that we would have to postpone starting the radiation on the spot that we KNOW is there in order to wait for an accurate PET scan. We would have to put off treating what we know is there so that he could wait for the other spot to either show up or heal. Ugh! Perfect scenario is that the second little spot is scar tissue still healing and we begin radiation on the spot near his jaw. I guess if they decide to do this it would be about 6 weeks from now for the scan and/or the start of radiation. I hate that he would have to have radiation again but if that is what has to be done then so be it.

We left it there as Dr. Hardacre has a call in to Dr. Holmes to discuss with him and a call in to Dr. Spencer to see if we can get to UAB pretty quickly to meet with her and get her opinion on what to do.

So continue to pray hard. We know that this is not what we wanted to hear yet again,but we also know that God is in control and THAT THIS CAN STILL BE CURED and that is exactly what we plan to do!

Love,
M

No comments: