Thursday, October 30, 2008

7:15 pm

Dad has finally been moved up to ICU. Heather and I are still waiting to see him, but mom has been for just a few minutes. She actually spotted him coming down the hall as he was being taken to the ICU and ran out in the hall. The nurses stopped so she could see him. (Thank goodness!) He SMILED when he saw her and you could tell he was relieved! Mom was so overwhelmed with joy all she could do was and cry. She was super strong! The sweetest nurse came in and told mom how good he had been all day and that he never complained. (It obviously was a zoo here today as many patients are without "rooms".) She told us all about the bandages, etc. so we would know what to expect. Shawn needed to leave because of kids and work so the sweet nurse (sorry, I don't know her name) actually snuck Shawn back there to see him before we were "allowed". He said he was talking and asking Shawn questions about the incision and seemed really curious about what everything looked like. We get to go as soon as he is set up in the ICU room and the shift change is complete.

As I was posting, Dr. Holmes just came by to go and check on him. He is an amazing doctor! He treats us like we are the only people in the world right now and that dad is top priority! It is very comforting. He came in to the waiting room just smiling and said "he looks good!" He said the flap looked good and is doing what it was supposed to be doing.

We have definitely felt the prayers today. God has just wrapped dad in his arms and He has control of this whole situation. We have such joy. It is only through HIM that we could make it through this day laughing and smiling along the way.

I am hoping that we will get in to see him soon and then leave him to rest for the night. We are just staying right here in the Lodge so we can be here in a minute or two if needed and we have the comfort of calling anytime all night to check on him. Good night and thank you!

9 comments:

chodges10 said...

Michelle, I was so happy to get this last update. Things sound like they are going right on schedule. So happy Pat finally got to see Ernie. I know the tears were those of joy! I look forward to your next update. Good night to you and your family and I so hope you rest well. Give Pat a hug from me!
Love, Carolyn

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good. I know Ernie was so glad to finally see a familiar face. Nicky and I look forward to each update you post. We hope you all rest well and we will continue to pray for each of you.

The Hamns said...

Michelle,
We are so thankful to hear the good reports. We will continue to pray for a successful recovery and for God to give your dad and all of you the strength to get through this. Hope you all get some rest tonight. Thanks for keeping us posted.
The Hamns

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!! Please know that you all are in our prayers. Thank you so much for keeping us updated on your dad's progress. Hope you all can rest well tonight.
The Whittens

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to be able to keep up with you at this time.Sounds like things are in order! Thank GOD for his many blessings, guidance and Love up to this point. All of you have been in my thoughts and prayers all day. I am so excited that the main surgery is over! It is all in GOds hands so everything is going to be great! We love you all!!!!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I am thinking of all of you!!! What wonderful news on Mr. Ernie... I love all the updates and will be checking back daily. I am praying for you all!!! Hugs to everyone!!!
Love,
Angie

Bamawhitney said...

Michelle and Family--you are in my thoughts all the way out here in Arizona!
Whitney

view from the south said...

Ernie and the entire family are in our thoughts and prayers throughout each day. When Ernie feels like it tell him I thought this was a pretty extreme way to avoid 'Trick or Treat' and I still expect to get my candy when he gets home. Norman & Patsy

Anonymous said...

We are all so glad to hear of the good results. The Coons have been keeping us updated. Please let everyone know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Please let Mrs. Pat know that we love her
and the kids are sending her hugs and prayers.
The Johnsons