Friday, October 15, 2010

It's Possible!

We just returned from Birmingham and our appointment at UAB with Dr. Spencer was very positive. I prayed as I went in that the doctors be knowledgeable and deliver whatever we needed to hear with peace and positive words. That is exactly what happened. She was first concerned that the area on his neck had some sort of infection on top of the fact that the cancer was active. I agree..Dr. Michelle had been thinking the same thing all week! It just looked like it was infected. So strong antibiotics were ordered for that. Second, after reviewing the scans, she said that it could be done! (the re radiation) She went over the risks involved, all we have heard before, but it was easy to swallow so to speak and we moved right on. She did say that she had spoken with Dr. Hardacre and was very aware of all the events over the past two years. She said that the records were missing one very important part of the puzzle, which was exactly how much radiation the spinal cord has already received. Until she has that information (and it won't be a problem to get it) she couldn't say exactly which treatment therapy they will use or how long. She said that would determine how much more radiation he could take in that area. Lets pray that it is just the right amount to stop this cancer for good! Her best guess was 4 weeks! That is better than 6 weeks. Many of you know my Dad very well and you know that the old saying, "you can't keep a good man down" is his life motto. He will not give in to this, therefore he will NOT and I repeat NOT consider staying at the Hope House for the four weeks of treatment. We will be making daily trips to Birmingham so that he can continue to work half days and rest, eat and sleep in his own house. We may be calling on some friends to take a leisurely drive to Bham every once in a while! More on that when we have details! Praise God for His comfort today and the entire appointment. I can't tell you the difference this time was compared to the last trip we made to UAB in March.

During her exam, she saw a lot of "yuck" (and trust me you want me to call it "yuck" in the back of his throat) Being the teaching hospital that it is, she instructed the doctor assisting her that looked like he would be friends with Patrick..to numb him and put a scope in his nose and down his throat to observe. I mean right there with mom and I in the room and we saw everything on the screen. I was in the show Gray's Anatomy at that very moment. Turned out it was a LOT of mucous which he knows about and she said he has reflux really bad. She was surprised he hasn't aspirated, but if you remember from previous posts we have had that checked out and the swallow test came back normal. She couldn't believe it! (Another God thing I might add!) She prescribed reflux meds and some sinus stuff to help dry it up.

Dr. Spencer said it should take 4-12 days for the board to meet and come up with a "plan" for Dad. I think it is comforting to know that several people will be looking at his records and coming up with the best plan possible. Once that it is in place she will call and we will be ready to go. He is going next Wednesday to get fitted for the mask so he will be ready when they are ready.

Thank you for your prayers. Again, HE is right there with us and we are going to be just fine.

In Him,
Michelle

No comments: